In this three-day workshop, I will present a wealth of visual approaches to the teaching of algebra in grades 6-9, including:
- Lab Gear manipulatives for basic symbol manipulation
- geoboard lattices for slope
- a powerful parallel axes representation for linear functions
- intelligent use of technology
Participants will learn techniques that will allow them to serve the whole range of students better by offering:
- greater access, because of using multiple representations
- greater challenge, because of expecting multi-dimensional understanding
- greater variety, because of using manipulative and electronic tools
The workshop will be aligned with the Common Core State Standards, both in content and in mathematical practices.
Participants will receive free sample manipulatives and a discount on materials from Didax and Nasco.