* I marked articles relevant to more than just math teachers with an asterisk.
The Common Core High School Math State Standards — a closer look
(a 20-page in-depth analysis).
For a tool-rich pedagogy, to reach more students and to deepen understanding.
A presentation on these topics at the UC Berkeley School of Education:
The place and purpose of Puzzles in Math Curriculum
The Assessment Trap: how some approaches to assessment undermine learning, and what to do about it.
Against hyper-acceleration of students in math.
Sooner is not necessarily better.
Time Pressure: Bad for Students, Bad for Teachers, a five-minute Ignite presentation.
There is no one way: effective teachers constantly broaden their repertoire, and learn to make choices that may not come naturally. The Art of Teaching* worksheet may help.
An article on teaching in the long period*.
The outline of a workshop for beginning teachers: Everything I Know.
- A presentation on teacher collaboration (slides):
- 2003 version*, for independent school leaders
- 2008 version, for math teachers and math department chairs
- 2012 version*, for independent school teacher-leaders