Algebra: Themes, Tools, Concepts (ATTC) is an algebra textbook I co-authored in the early 90's. It was ground-breaking in some ways, and includes many extraordinarily effective approaches to the teaching of algebra. In fact, ATTC features powerful lessons on many parts of secondary school math, which are used by teachers in grades 7 to 12.
On the other hand, ATTC is not particularly easy to use as a textbook, and never became a best-seller. Thus, the publisher decided to declare it out of print, and the copyright reverted to the authors. It is now available absolutely free, right here, for your non-commercial use.
On This Site
- What are Themes, Tools, and Concepts? (Teachers' Edition front matter)
- The whole book, downloadable in its entirety, by chapter, or by lesson
- The whole book on line, digitized by Google, in color and searchable
- The Teacher's Edition, in color and searchable
- Additional Teacher Notes
- Index to selected topics and tools
- Additional Teacher Resources
- The book makes extensive use of the Lab Gear manipulatives.
- Predictably, ATTC was controversial. Read my response to a critic.
- The philosophy behind the book: A New Algebra | Algebra for All | A Visual Model
- I revised some lessons from ATTC, and included them in Geometry Labs.
- Jen Coté wrote a paper: ATTC Through a Deweyian Lens.
- Fan mail: ATTC and Common Core | ATTC and teacher ed
Here are some lessons from ATTC, mostly in PDF format. Some are revised.
- "In Addition..."
- Three problems
- The "McNuggets Problem"
- Building Block Numbers
- Interpreting Graphs
- The Bicycle Trip | Follow-up
- In the Lab
- Weight vs. Age
- not from ATTC: Comparing Cell Phone Plans
- Constant Sums, Constant Products
- (More on this last topic.)
- Systems of Linear Equations
- Part of Lesson 10.6, as a lesson plan, including video and GeoGebra...
- ...and as a Desmos Activity (by Chris Bolognese)
- Function Diagrams
- Nine Function Diagrams
- The Focus
- Representing Linear Functions
- (More on this subject, including animated diagrams.)
- An Introduction